Deliciously light and airy, these Glazed Key Lime Muffins make a wonderful addition to your next breakfast or brunch. These are perfect with a cup of coffee and tea and freeze really well too!
If you are like me and you love key lime pie, these muffins are for you. I am so tired of this awful, cold winter that I wanted to make something to remind me of the spring and summer.
Let's all pretend we are laying on a tropical beach, sipping a cup of tea (or Pina Colada) and enjoying these incredible muffins. Take a minute and close your eyes and imagine that.
Sometimes those day dreams get through these freezing cold, long days of winter.
These muffins are so delicious that they could also be a dessert. And being that they are lightened up a bit their should be no guilt involved at all.
If you like it more limey (is that a word?) then you can always add more lime juice. It's super important to use FRESH key lime juice though.
I know, I know you might already have that small, green lime shaped bottle in your fridge, but you really should use fresh lime juice for this. And just for the record, I have nothing against those little lime bottles.
I am always for anything that makes life easier, but for these babies you definitely want fresh juice.
It will be worth it. I promise.
You can also top these with unsweetened shredded coconut if you'd like. That will make them more tropical, which I think we can all use now.
Personally, I don't like coconut at all. I don't like smell, taste or texture.
I do realize I am not the norm here and most people are crazy for coconut. So go ahead and add some if you'd like.
The glaze on these muffins is AMAZING! Just make sure you allow the muffins to cool completely before you spoon the glaze on top.
You guys always know that I love to hear any of your substitutions and additions, so please let me know if you tried something different. You always are so creative and share such great ideas.
One of my loyal readers used a lemon Greek yogurt instead of the plain Greek yogurt in this recipe and loved it. Just so you know though that will add some sugar to these muffins.
But let's be clear, if you change too much of my recipe and you hate the way it tastes, that's not my problem 🙂 I hate to sound like a jerk but I do get some really interesting emails at times.
I should publish them because I bet you guys would be surprised. Ok, let's get back on track.
Edited to add... One thing I have tried recently is I have used Monk Fruit for the unrefined sugar and Powdered Monk Fruit for the powdered sugar in the glaze and it was incredible. Just a suggestion if you are looking to reduce the sugar in your diet.
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup unrefined sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup raw honey
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large organic eggs lightly beaten
- ¼ cup avocado mashed
- 2 teaspoons grated key lime zest
- ¼ cup fresh key lime juice
- For the Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon key lime zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease muffin tins with coconut oil or organic butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together raw honey, Greek yogurt, eggs, avocado, zest and lime juice.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir to combine, be careful not to over mix.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean when placed in center of muffin.
- While muffins are baking, place powdered sugar, lime juice and zest in a small bowl and mix well.
- Allow to cool in muffin tin for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cooled, spoon glazed onto each muffin.
I wanted to share some more delicious muffin recipes that I thought you might love:
Lemon Chia Seed Muffins from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Basic Healthy Muffins from Fit Foodie Finds
The Best Blueberry Crumb Muffins from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Healthy Applesauce Muffins from Well Plated
Peanut Butter Protein Muffins from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Healthy Banana Muffins from The Clean Eating Couple
Pumpkin Gingerbread Muffins from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
If you make these Glazed Key Lime Muffins or any of the other recipes I have shared with you, please some back and let me know. You guys know that I love to hear from you!
I hope you enjoy these! Thank you for stopping by and please come back soon!