This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This is the perfect, easy, make-ahead breakfast that has all of the flavors of your favorite French toast!
I love French toast. I always have. And I love to make it, but it can be time consuming. Until now of course. Enter The Greek Yogurt Cookbook…
When I was writing the “Breakfast and Brunch” chapter for The Greek Yogurt Cookbook, I knew I had to make some type of French toast. Well I did, and not only is it ridiculously delicious, but it’s so easy to make. Who doesn’t love a dish that you can make ahead? This casserole recipe will be one that you make many times. And everyone you make it for will thank you.
This is an old picture…I have made this for almost every special occasion in the Kelly house because it’s one of those rare dishes that everyone loves!
Overnight French Toast Casserole
- 1 loaf stale bread
- 5 whole organic cage-free eggs
- 2 organic cage-free egg whites
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 3 ⁄4 cup 100 percent pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cold butter diced
- 1/3 cup unrefined brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ⁄4 cup minced pecans optional
Spray a 9" × 13" casserole dish with organic nonstick cooking spray.
2. Tear bread into pieces and spread them throughout the casserole dish in an even layer.
3. In a large bowl, mix eggs, egg whites, Greek yogurt, milk, and maple syrup. Mix very well until smooth and thoroughly combined. Pour egg mixture completely over bread.
4. In a small bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, and pecans, if using. Mix until all ingredients are combined, even if still lumpy.
5. Sprinkle the butter mixture on top of the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. If cooking the same day, make sure to refrigerate at least 30 minutes before baking.
6. In the morning, preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown and the middle of the dish is set. Serve immediately with maple syrup, if desired.
The Greek yogurt not only adds some protein but it also makes it creamy without all of the extra fat and calories.