A new, healthy twist on this classic holiday side dish, this Green Bean Quinoa Casserole is packed with flavor and will be a huge crowd pleaser!
I started out wanting to lighten up the typical Green Bean Casserole that everyone makes on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I figured I’d use fresh green beans (a MUST!) and definitely take out the cream of mushroom soup. Once I started to prepare it I realized I could add one thing that’s packed with plant-based protein, fiber and minerals and is also naturally gluten-free! Yes, QUINOA! Lets do this…
Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to trash talk all of the Green Bean Casserole lovers who love it with the creamed soup and canned beans. There’s still some of those fried onions in there. I just used less and added some panko breadcrumbs for some extra crunch. I would love you to try this dish and let me know which one you like better. I will not be offended if you like the other way better. I will just be shocked!
Oh, and I teamed up with 25 other bloggers to share a whole bunch of delicious Thanksgiving recipes with you. They all look amazing and one look at them and I realized I can plan my whole Thanksgiving menu right here with this post!
Oh I forgot to mention, I am having a giveaway for a $50 Amazon gift card too! Simple comment on this post and tell me what you will buy with the gift card. But wait, there’s more! Every single one of the bloggers below is also hosting their own $50 giveaway of all types of awesome prizes! You don’t want to miss out. The holidays are right around the corner. (YIKES!)
Now back to this delicious recipe…
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fried onions
- 2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place quinoa and 1 1/2 cup broth into large sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until all broth is absorbed.
- While quinoa is cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat.
- Add green beans and cook for about 3 minutes so they are crisp and not fully cooked. Drain in colander and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add oil. onion and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add mushrooms and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Add flour to mushroom mixture and mix well.
- Add broth and milk and continue to stir to prevent lumps. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add cheese, quinoa and green beans and remove from heat.
- Top with Parmesan cheese, fried onions and panko crumbs.
- Place in a baking dish and cook for 30 minutes uncovered.
Enter the giveaway for the $50 gift card HERE!
Please check out these delicious Thanksgiving recipes and go enter these other giveaways!
Homemade Orange Cider Cranberry Sauce via The Snappy Gourmet
Cheesy Garlic Herb Potatoes and Squash via Sugar Dish Me
5-Ingredient Pecan Pie Fudge via Texanerin Baking
Brussels Sprouts and Farro Salad via Lemons for Lulu
Sweet Potato Cheesecake via Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
Roasted Butternut Squash and Cranberry Side Dish via Cooking on the Front Burner
Fig and Goat Cheese Ball via Eat. Drink. Love.
Overnight Pumpkin Monkey Bread via Barbara Bakes
Classic Apple Pie via Comfortable Domestic
Acorn Squash Puree via Daily Appetite
Pumpkin Banana Bread via Java Cupcake
Green Beans with Almonds and Bacon via From Valerie’s Kitchen
Classic Pecan Pie via That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Turkey Tenderloins with Mushroom Shallot Tarragon Gravy via All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
Sweet Potato Casserole Donut Holes via Cupcake Project
Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes via Chocolate Slopes
Triple Spice Pumpkin Buttermilk Pie via Frugal Foodie Mama
Homemade Cranberry Sauce via The Adventure Bite
Twice Baked Potatoes via My Gluten Free Kitchen
Warm Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Leek Salad with Cheddar Biscuit Breadcrumbs via Sarcastic Cooking ZZZZ
Pumpkin Slab Pie via The Kitchen is My Playground
Prosciutto Wrapped Parmesan Pears & Greens via The Complete Savorist
Cranberry Apple Charlotte via The Redhead Baker
Pumpkin Ricotta Chocolate Chip Bread via Ari’s Menu
Thanks for stopping by and Good luck with all the giveaways!