If you are like me, you are always looking for new breakfast ideas. I want a healthy breakfast that tastes delicious. Who doesn't? And we eat eggs for dinner too. A lot. I have three little boys that keep me extremely busy so some nights we have breakfast for dinner. And it's awesome.
I'm not going to say that this is so easy that you can make this during the week, when you have a bunch of kids to get out the door by 8:00 a.m. This is more of a breakfast-for-dinner or weekend breakfast. It's so healthy and packed with lots of fiber and protein. And it's gluten-free, dairy-free and grain-free. SCORE!
- 3 whole organic eggs
- 2 organic egg whites
- ¼ cup almond milk can use whatever milk you like
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 can BPA-FREE black beans rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup salsa
- ¼ cup organic grape tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites and milk until frothy and bubbly.
- Spray skillet with organic cooking spray. Place egg mixture into skillet over medium heat. Once eggs begin to set a bit, take a spatula and lift the eggs and move them around.
- Continue to do so until all the liquid has set. (I like mine a little light brown) Remove eggs from heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet, place oil, garlic and onion under medium low heat for 3-4 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Add beans and stir to cook for a few minutes. Remove from heat and place in a medium bowl.
- Top with salsa and chopped tomatoes, eggs and avocado. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
Man I wish my kids loved beans like I do. Or even half as much as I do. I hope this changes when they get older. But I can't complain, I am such a picky eater and they eat all types of stuff that I won't… seafood, meats, most cheeses… you name it. But I do wish they'd eat their beans… someday...
I didn't add any cheese to this (I am not a cheese lover) but I bet a shredded sharp cheddar would be delicious on top of this! I ate this yesterday after a long run, it was the perfect way to refuel. Hope you enjoy it!