These are delicious Coconut Blueberry Waffles are healthy and simple to prepare. This waffle recipe is made with all wholesome ingredients like coconut flour and flax meal and are naturally gluten free.
I wanted to make these waffles for a while now, but I couldn't find my waffle maker! I guess that shows you how long it's been since I've made waffles.
I usually just make pancakes, but my kids really like waffles so I literally searched all over my (small) house. It was nowhere.
And that really bummed me out. I got it as an engagement gift almost 15 years ago.
It was a beauty. The big belgian waffle maker from William Sonoma.
Sigh. It was gone.
Luckily, I have a bunch of friends who were kind enough to search for THEIR waffle makers they got for their engagements/weddings and borrowed one of theirs. I'm so happy I did, because waffles are awesome.
They are light and fluffy like pancakes in the center, but crispy and crunchy on the outside. Most people are either Team Pancakes or Team Waffles, but I am definitely on both teams.
I usually keep homemade pancakes (and now waffles) in the freezer since they are so much healthier than many of the store bought kinds. When you make these, make a double or triple batch and freeze them to make morning breakfast a whole lot easier.
I love to take out the frozen waffles and simply defrost on the counter while I am cutting up fruit, reading emails and enjoying my tea in peace and quiet. Then I simply place them in the toaster over for a couple of minutes to get warm and crispy.
So much better than the frozen waffles you can buy at the grocery store. Most of them contain unnecessary sugars, sweeteners, preservatives and additives.
You can see these are made with all good for you, wholesome ingredients that you can feel good about giving your family. You an also control the ingredients and sugars in these.
I also like to top these with sliced fruit and melted butter instead of maple syrup. They are already naturally sweet and butter always makes everything better, right?
Or is that bacon?
I am thinking it's both of them.
I don't love coconut flavor, but I think these waffles have just amount of coconut in them. For all of my coconut lovers you can go ahead and sprinkle some unsweetened coconut on top of these babies.
Go find and dust off your waffle iron and try these today! Hope you like them as much as we do.
If you use any other ingredients or substitutions, please come back and let me know how they turned out. I always love to hear your suggestions and ideas.
I just bought the Dash Mini Waffle Maker which I know will be a lot of fun to play with, starting with these Coconut Blueberry Waffles. I have so many ideas running through my head right now!
- 2 Whole eggs and 2 egg whites
- 3 Tablespoons melted coconut oil or you can use melted butter
- 3 Tablespoons coconut milk or reduced fat or whole milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup, or sugar free alternative of choice like Monk Fruit
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 Tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup ground flax
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup blueberries
- Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature. I prefer crispier waffles.
- Using a wire whisk, mix together eggs, coconut oil (or melted butter), milk, maple syrup and sea salt.
- Continuing to whisk, add the baking powder and coconut flour until thoroughly mixed. Add the cinnamon, flax and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Add blueberries and stir gently.
- Spray waffle iron with generous amount of organic cooking spray.
- Spoon 4-5 tablespoons of batter onto waffle iron and close until shut.
- Cook according to the waffle iron's instructions.
- Remove from waffle iron and place on wire rack until ready to eat.
- Top with additional fresh blueberries, powdered sugar or 100% maple syrup if desired.
If you make these Coconut Blueberry Waffles or any of the other recipes I have shared with you, please some back and let me know. You guys know that I love to hear from you!
I hope you enjoy these! Thank you for stopping by and please come back soon!