If you are looking for that perfect dish to make for Easter or Mother’s Day brunch, I found it…
I personally do not cook on Mother’s Day (probably the only day of the year 😉 ) because it’s nice to have a break. We usually go out for brunch every year because my hubby doesn’t cook. I personally would be THRILLED if someone made this for me (hint, hint). Everyone loved my Overnight French Toast Casserole so much (it’s in The Greek Yogurt Cookbook!) that I knew I had to add some fruit to it. We love our blueberry waffles and pancakes already, so why not add it to french toast? Yeeeeeessssss!
- 1 loaf stale bread
- 5 whole cage-free eggs
- 2 cage-free egg whites
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3⁄4 cup 100 percent pure maple syrup
- 1 16 ounce bag of frozen organic mixed berries
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- ¼ cup unrefined brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- Take berries out of the freezer and defrost for at least 30 minutes.
- Spray a 9" × 13" casserole dish with organic nonstick cooking spray.
- Tear bread into pieces and spread them throughout the casserole dish in an even layer.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, egg whites, Greek yogurt, milk, and maple syrup. Mix very well until smooth and thoroughly combined. Pour egg mixture completely over bread.
- In a small bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, and pecans, if using. Mix until all ingredients are combined, even if still lumpy.
- Add defrosted berries on top of bread mixture.
- Sprinkle the butter mixture on top of the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. If cooking the same day, make sure to refrigerate at least 30 minutes before baking.
- 6. In the morning, preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown and the middle of the dish is set. Serve immediately with maple syrup, if desired.
You really don’t need any additional maple syrup, this french toast is sweet enough on its own. It looks fancy enough for guests, but takes minutes to prepare. Kind of perfect, right?
I hope you love this as much as we do!