Move over pasta salad, this broccoli salad is light and healthy for all of your summer barbecues.
I just love summer. I crave salads and lighter dishes but many of the macaroni and pasta salads have mayonnaise based dressings. Besides the fact that I despise mayo (like I seriously loathe it) but those type of dressings don't exactly survive in the warm weather. They spoil quickly since they are made with eggs so I always try to make salads with light dressings. Did I mention how much I hate those creamy dressings?
This salad is vegan and packed with lots of vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Most of you know how much I love chia seeds and besides have tons of antioxidants in the dressing, they also add an extra crunchy texture.
- 1 bag of broccoli slaw it’s just raw shredded broccoli and carrots
- 1 cup fuji apple cord and chopped
- 2 tablespoons of dried cranberries unsweetened
- 1 kiwi peeled and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded & chopped
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oil of your choice I used olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Chia seed ground
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves diced
- extra chia seeds for topping
- Take a clean, empty jar or tupperware with a lid and add the mustard, balsamic vinegar, oil, salt, chia seed and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add a the chopped garlic along with the fresh basil leaves.
- Cover the jar and shake well to blend. Set aside.
- Place broccoli slaw in large bowl. Add chopped apple, kiwi and pepper. Mix it all together. Top with cranberries. Mix again. Add dressing just before serving.
This salad is so easy to make. I cheated and bought the bag of pre-sliced broccoli and carrot slaw from Trader Joe's It saves a ton of time. Why not? With three little kids at home, I am always trying to find ways to simplify.
I bet sliced almonds would be really delicious in here too. Maybe next time. 😉 I make this A LOT in the summer. My 4 year old calls it "The Crunchy Salad" and LOVES when he finds those cranberries! Now if only my oldest would just TRY it...
I hope you enjoy this! Happy Summer!