If you are looking for a healthy and not overly sweet treat, this chia pudding is just what you need!
Often after dinner, I am looking for something sweet. Most nights I have some fruit but sometimes, fruit just doesn't cut it. I want to chocolate. And lots of it. So this is when I make this pudding. Or my Chocolate Avocado Pudding from The Everything Wheat-Free Diet Cookbook. They satisfy my chocolate cravings while being healthy at the same time. Perfection.
I use raw cacao powder in this which is packed with antioxidants that help lower risk for certain diseases. This pudding is gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan too for all of you suffering with allergies or sensitivities. Chia seeds are also loaded with fiber, antioxidants and protein so this really is a healthy treat. When liquid is added to chia seeds, they turn into a thick, gelatinous pudding-like bowl of deliciousness. You need to try this!
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ cup almond milk or milk of choice I used unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 teaspoon 100% maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut more for topping if desired
- ⅛ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon raw cacao powder
- cacao nibs for topping
- Place all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Cover with a lid.
- It may look watery, but allow it to sit overnight (or at least a few hours) for it to thicken.
- Top with cacao nibs and additional shredded coconut if desired. ENJOY!
I love to top this with a whole bunch of cacao nibs because they are also loaded with antioxidants, iron and magnesium, but also give a wonderful crunchy texture. I love adding nibs to oatmeal, smoothies, ice cream…you name it. They are a little bitter (they are pure cacao) but when added to something sweet, they lose their bitterness. At least I think they do. 😉
Please let me know how much you love this! Have a great day~