Now you can have your cake and eat it too (guilt-free!) This vanilla layer cake with strawberry chia filling is not only healthier, but it's incredibly scrumptious too!
Disclaimer: I was compensated by Nektar Naturals to create this recipe. However, like always, the opinions are entirely my own. Promise 🙂
You know what I despise? "Healthy" desserts that are supposed to taste good. And then they taste like cardboard.
Now I know that I can actually make a healthy cake tastes crazy delicious. And this cake is proof of just that.
I am always on the hunt for new, unrefined sugars. Don't get me wrong, I love cooking and baking with honey, but boy was I was excited to find Nektar Honey Crystals. They are are 100% all natural granulated honey with all the benefits of traditional honey, witout the sticky mess. Intrigued? Me too!
Not only are these Nektar Honey Crystals AMAZING in baked goods (such as this fabulous cake) but I have also added to my green tea, iced green tea, and even in my oatmeal. And I love the fact that Nektar Honey Crystals are 100% natural, GMO-free, naturally gluten-free, Kosher Pareve and made in the U.S.A. What's not to like?
Now back to this gorgeous cake!
Can you believe that this cake contains no eggs or butter? I know, I know, I said buttercream frosting, but it actually has no butter in it! And it still tastes fantastic. Have I mentioned my weakness for buttercream?
The strawberry chia filling is delicious, don't be scared of the chia seeds! They are packed with healthy omega-3-fatty acids and protein and add a nice little texture. But IF you are unsure about the strawberry filling, go ahead and double the buttercream and spread a layer in between the cakes. Don't knock it until you try it though.
This vanilla cake is a little darker than your typical vanilla cake because of the whole wheat flour and light brown honey crystals. The taste is out of this world and yes, ALL of my kids liked it too! That's huge.
Vanilla Layer Cake with Buttercream Frosting
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ⅔ cup Nektar Naturals Honey Crystals
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 very ripe bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Strawberry Chia Filling:
- 1 cup strawberries
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- strawberries for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 round cake pans with cooking spray or grease with coconut oil.
- Prepare strawberry chia filling. Place strawberries and chia seeds in a blender and blend until smooth. Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour to set.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, Nektar Naturals Honey Crystals, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together bananas, vanilla, lemon, almond milk and vanilla.
- Add banana mixture to flour mixture until combined.
- Pour into greased pans and place into preheated oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes until thoroughly cooked or until a toothpick placed in the middle comes out clean.
- Prepare frosting by placing coconut oil, powdered sugar and vanilla in medium size bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium-low for about 5 minutes until creamy. Set aside.
- Allow cake to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove one cake from pan and turn upside down.
- Spread strawberry mixture on the the top of that cake.
- Place second cake on top of the strawberry mixture.
- Frost with prepared frosting and top with strawberries if desired.
I am coming over later today, have a slice ready for me!! 😀
Amanda @ The Kitcheneer
That strawberry chia filling sounds amazing Lauren! And I can totally dig that natural sweetener!
Angie | Big Bear's Wife
That filling is so awesome! I just can't get over it! It's perfect with this cake!
Colleen (Souffle Bombay)
What a pretty summery cake! Gimmie a big ol' slice!
[email protected] Mom
The cake looks amazing Lauren! I've never seen honey crystals before, how cool!
I am totally intrigued by those honey crystals. I've never seen them before, but will definitely be on the lookout for them! What a wonderful (and healthier...yay!) cake for summertime.
Martha @ A Family Feast
I'm so excited to see those packets of granulated honey! I've only seen it sold in bulk and have needed it in a recipe - but didn't want to buy such a huge container! (And that cake looks delicious too!)
Sharon @ What The Fork Food Blog
That strawberry chia filling sounds awesome! And I'm totally intrigued by those honey crystals!
The honey crystals are amazing Sharon, you need to try them!
I have never heard of Nektar, but I think you just made me a believer! And that buttercream is fabulous!
You need to try them Tanya! 🙂
Lana | Never Enough Thyme
Those honey crystals are really interesting. I'm definitely looking for them on my next shopping trip.
Or you can buy them online Lana! 🙂
The Food Hunter
The filling on this cake sounds amazing.
I'm totally crushing on that strawberry chia filling! I bet that it would be great in just about anything.
Oh trust me Kristen, I have used it in so many things! Thank you!
Paula - bell'alimento
I'm diggin the filling! Currently craving all things strawberry so this is perfect.
YEs Paula! Everything strawberry now!
Dear Lauren, what a beautiful cake! I love that it is almost guilt-free too..I need to find those honey crystals next time I go shopping. Pinned for later. xo, Catherine
Thank you Catherine!