This is a fun little twist on classic bruschetta. This bruschetta is perfect for those with a wheat or gluten allergy or for someone who is looking to cut back on their carbs. Either way, you will love these. These are straight from my cookbook, The Everything Wheat-Free Diet Cookbook on sale now in all major bookstores! I just HAD to mention that 🙂
Fresh Tomato and Basil Bruschetta over portobello Mushrooms
- 6 plum (Roma) tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, torn
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 large Portobello mushroom caps, wiped clean, stems removed
- Extra-virgin olive oil in Misto sprayer
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, olive oil, onion, garlic, vinegar, basil, and Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper and mix well.
- 3. Slice each mushroom cap in half, leaving two half circles, and place on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Lightly spray each Portobello mushroom cap with Misto sprayer filled with olive oil. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- 4. Spoon bruschetta mixture on each mushroom half. Top with mozzarella and bake for 2–3 minutes, more until cheese is melted. Serve warm.
You wil not miss the bread in this recipe! Portobello mushrooms make for a healthy, wheat-free alternative. These are perfect for barbecues and all of your entertaining. I shared this with Skinnygirl Cocktails as part of their “How To Pack a Healthy Picnic“ and I even made these for my Book Launch Party in April. They were a hit!
Hope you like them as much as we do!