Are you wondering how to stay on track with your healthy eating for the 4th of July? This salad is perfect for outdoor barbecues and parties. You don’t have to derail your healthy eating habits this summer. Quinoa and lentils are packed with protein which helps keep you feeling full.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 4 cups water divided
- ½ cup dried lentils
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes quartered
- 1 cup sugar snap peas. Ends trimmed and chopped into 3 or 4 pieces depending on the size of snap pea
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 5 ounce container crumbled feta cheese
- Place quinoa is fine mesh colander and rinse with cold water. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Place 2 cups water in saucepan and bring to a boil. Add quinoa and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- Place quinoa, diced peppers, snap peas and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Place lentils in same fine mesh colander and rinse with cold water making sure to discard any debris.
- Place lentils in a saucepan with remaining 2 cups water. Simmer over low heat for 25-30 minutes until lentils are soft but not mushy. Drain and set aside to cool. Once cooled, add lentils to the same large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic. Pour over salad. Top with feta cheese. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Happy 4th of July! ENJOY!