So the weather is getting nicer and the clothes are getting smaller (YIKES!)
I get asked all the time about cleanses and detoxes these days. It seems like most people are looking for the latest "quick fix". I get it. People want results. NOW! In order to live healthy and maintain a healthy weight, you need to do one thing...CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE!!!
Personally, I don't believe in restricting certain food groups or severely cutting back on calories to lose weight. If only it could be a s easy as "Eat when you are hungry" and "Stop when you are full", everyone out there would be happy with their bodies!!
So instead of drinking cleanses and taking "detox" pills, why not eat only clean, unprocessed foods and no added sugar for 3-5 days to give yourself a JUMP START?
Here's what you need to do:
- start each morning with hot water and ½ fresh squeezed lemon (must be on empty stomach to flush out toxins)
- no coffee , just green tea (aim for 3-5 cups)
- 1 gallon of water a day which you can add lemon, mint or ginger to
- no dairy (except plain greek yogurt)
- no bread/pasta/rice... only quiona or rolled/steel cut oats
- opt for 2-3 "juices*" a day if you want to juice, otherwise load up on fresh raw veggies. no more than 2-3 fruits each day * juices are only homemade with fresh veggies and fruit
- no sugar at all (besides the fruit)
- no carbonated beverages at all (obviously no soda but also no seltzer)
- if you want to do vegetarian, load up on raw or steamed beans (mix with raw veggies and lime juice)
- if you aren't doing vegetarian, choose only lean white meats and fish and either steam, grill or bake (Herbs, garlic, lemon, lime (even fresh orange) are great to season)
- hard boiled eggs are great, only 1 whole egg per day, egg whites are unlimited
- All nuts are great. Make sure they are raw and unsalted. Also, no more than 14 nuts per serving, 2 servings a day.
- Lastly, make sure you get between 7-8 hours of sleep each night. Now, I know those who have kids, sometimes kids don't get the memo. Try your best by going to bed early each night!
Besides flushing out your system with all the water, you are only eating unprocessed foods, which you will feel lighter and should give you more energy. This is a great way to focus on whole foods and add tons of vitamins and nutrients to your diet.
After the 3-5 days try to eat as many unprocessed foods as you can throughout the day. Prepare for the week ahead by stocking your refrigerator with fresh fruits and veggies and lean proteins. Comment on this blog post or my facebook page if you want to join me starting this coming Monday. GOOD LUCK!! Happy CLEAN Eating! 🙂