It's another fun twist on the classic PB & J! Back to school lunch making just got a whole lot more fun!
Disclaimer: I was compensated by Dave’s Killer Bread to create this recipe. However, like always, the opinions are entirely my own. Promise 🙂
It's back to school time…kids dread going back to school all day and parents dread making lunches (and homework!) I always struggle with creative, healthy ideas that my kids will actually like. My kids are not the ones who will eat sliced vegetables and cute dips in bento boxes…not that there is anything wrong with that… they eat a lot and I need ideas for foods that will nourish them as well as keep them full.
Does anyone else have kids who beg for you to buy white bread or is it just me? They will go to a friend's house that has this ridiculously soft (and overly processed) white bread and then come home and plead with me to buy it. There is no nutritional value in that white bread at all. Until I stumbled on Dave's Killer Bread! They created an Organic White Bread Done Right which contains omega-3-fatty acids, no high fructose corn syrup, no bleached flour and 5 super grains (quinoa, spelt, rye, millet and barley). It has the most whole grains per slice of any organic white bread out there. I love the ingredients and it's NON-GMO! Ok, I will try THIS white bread!
I was thinking of something creative to make with this bread for my kids. I wanted it to be a spin on the classic PB & J sandwich that most kids love and I immediately thought of making it into a french toast! All 3 kids LOVED it!
The "jelly" in this sandwich is simply blackberries and a little honey. That's it. No refined sugars, artificial colors or flavors. Sometimes simple is best.
The best part? Besides the fact that it's insanely delicious, it's simple to make. If you don't feel like making your own peanut butter (which really is easy) just use a natural peanut butter that you buy in the grocery store. Read the ingredients though! They should simply say peanuts and salt if desired. No added sugars or oils at all. This is a perfect example of why consumers need to read their ingredient labels. Many Natural peanut butters contain these unnecessary ingredients.
- ½ cup blackberries
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg beaten
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 slices Dave's Killer Bread White Bread Done Light
- 1 tablespoon butter
- powdered sugar for topping optional
- In a medium bowl, place blackberries and honey and smash with a fork until desired consistency (I like to leave some blackberry chunks).
- In a separate bowl, mix together milk, vanilla, beaten and cinnamon.
- Spread 1-2 tablespoons of blackberries on one slice of bread.
- Spread 1 tablespoon peanut butter on another slice of bread.
- Form a sandwich and carefully dip into extra mixture on both sides.
- Place tablespoon of butter in skillet and grill until golden brown.
- Flip over and cook the other side.
- Follow the same instructions for the second sandwich.
I bet everyone in your family loves this sandwich! Click here to find where you can buy Dave's Killer Bread at a grocery store by you! And check out my Grilled Chocolate Almond Butter and Strawberry Chia Jelly Sandwiches too! Happy back to school 🙂