This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
How about that, it’s Meatless Monday again 🙂
I am not sure if you are getting tired of all of my quinoa posts, but besides the fact that it is so tasty, it’s jam packed with protein too! Quinoa has become popular with those who are on gluten free diets as well. Quinoa is the only grain that is a complete protein, which means that it contains all nine essential amino acids needed for the human diet. These cakes are loaded with protein and fiber and allow for a well balanced vegan dish. I just love the texture and versatility of quinoa…perfect example are these Quinoa Black Bean Cakes!
Vegan Quinoa Black Bean Cakes
- 4 Tablespoon Grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped plum tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (I used seasoned)
- 1 can organic black beans, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 2 cups of quinoa, cooked in vegetable broth
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 fresh cilantro leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of Grapeseed oil in skillet, add green pepper and saute’ until soft for about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, onion and tomatoes and continue to saute’ until soft.
- Remove from heat, combine with black beans, cilantro, cumin, red pepper flakes and allow to cool for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place in food processor and pulse until chunky, not completely smooth.
- Add beaten egg and mix well. Roll into patties, dredge in bread crumbs and place in heated skillet with 1 Tablespoon Grapeseed oil. Saute’ at least 5 minutes on each side. Makes about 8 patties. I garnished with fresh cilantro and chopped tomatoes. These were DELICIOUS!
Serving Size 1 cake
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 94
Total Fat 10.4g
Saturated Fat 0.9g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrates 43.9g
Dietary Fiber 6.5g
Nutritional information based on Calorie Count, not 100% guaranteed accurate