HAPPY MEATLESS MONDAY!
So here we are, another Meatless Monday. How many of you have been inspired to eat meatless meals one day of the week (if you haven’t already)? You should be creative when eating vegetarian. There are so many possibilities, why not explore them all?
Most of you know how much I LOVE quinoa (pronounced KEEN-WAH). Quinoa is actually a seed, but is very much like a grain. Unlike grains, quinoa is a complete protein (it contains all nine essential amino acids) and is also packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It really is a SUPER food!
My kids love mac and cheese (I do too 🙂 ) Why not try Quinoa “Mac” and Cheese and put them in Tomato bowls???
Quinoa “Mac” and Cheese with Spinach in Broiled Tomato Bowls
adapted from allrecipes
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons pignoli nuts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 juice of fresh lemon
- 1/4 cup grated cheese of your choice, I used parmesan and asiago blend
- 4 organic beef steak tomatoes, top 1 inch sliced off, pulp and seeds scooped out
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the quinoa, and cook until the quinoa is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain in a mesh strainer, and rinse until cold; set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, stir in pignoli nuts, and cook until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic, and cook until the garlic softens , about 2 minutes. Stir in the quinoa and spinach; cook and stir until the quinoa is hot, and the spinach has wilted. Stir in the lemon juice, and the cheese.
- Meanwhile place tomatoes in a baking dish and place sliced top back on top of the tomato. Place in broiler for 5 minutes until softens slightly but still remains intact.
- Take tomatoes out and place the quinoa mixture inside the tomato, like a bowl. The juices of the tomato combine with the quinoa mixture and taste delicious! ENJOY!!
Serving Size 1 tomato bowl with quinoa blend
Amount Per Serving
Calories 155 Calories from Fat 81 (4 WW Points per serving)
Total Fat 9.0g
Saturated Fat 1.6g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrates 14.8g
Dietary Fiber 2.1g
*Nutrition information provided by www.caloriecount.com, not 100% guaranteed accurate