Welcome to another Meatless Monday!
Quinoa is the latest “superfood” these days. I love it. It’s so versatile and can be used in so many different ways. Quinoa is loaded with magnesium, iron and calcium. It contains all nine essential amino acids which also makes it a complete protein. It has a lot of fiber and is also gluten free which is perfect for those with gluten sensitivities.
Avocados are packed with fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B vitamins and folic acid. They also have monounsaturated fats (healthy fats) which help to lower blood cholesterol.
Black beans are also packed with fiber and protein as well. Tomatoes have antioxidants and Vitamin A and C in them.
What happens when you put all of these nutrition powerhouses together??? One delicious, healthy salad!
adapted from allrecipes.com
For the salad:
- 1.5 cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups water
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- One box (14 oz) of frozen corn, defrosted
- 2 avocados, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-2 pints grape tomatoes, halved ( I used 1 1/2)
- Cook quinoa with the water according to package directions. Let cool to room temperature.
- Combine beans, corn, avocado, and tomatoes. Toss with cooled quinoa.
For the dressing:
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- zest of one lime
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh packed cilantro leaves (optional if you don’t like cilantro)
Serving Size 1/8 of salad
Amount Per Serving
Calories 298 Calories from Fat 147
Total Fat 16.4g
Saturated Fat 1.9g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrates 36.5g
Dietary Fiber 7.6g
*Nutritional information provided by www.caloriecount.com, not 100% guaranteed accurate