Who salads have to be boring? This Chopped Mexican Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing is packed with vitamins, nutrients, protein and fiber that will help keep you full for hours!
I am in a really bad food rut these days, I am sure many of you can relate.
These ruts typically end every spring and always returns in the winter, mostly in January. The truth is, I don't love eating salads in the freezing cold winter.
Even more so, I don't like making my own salads because they always seem so complicated. That is until now.
I like more comforting foods, and I just might have been eating too many of them lately. So this salad is my way of turning this all around.
No more boring salads.
Why You Should Make This Chopped Mexican Salad
I always say that I like to keep my recipes simple and this salad is exactly that. Simple doesn't need to be boring though, especially with a creamy, delicious dressing like this.
The dressing is straight out of The Greek Yogurt Cookbook (page 113, Spinach Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing) but I thought it would go perfectly with this Mexican salad too. Ok, let's be honest, this dressing would be awesome with just about anything.
My kids also love it as a dip for sliced veggies. Or you could eat it with a spoon.
I may or may not have done that. No judgements, right?
This salad helps me to get back on track, which I need desperately.
Tips and Ideas
So let's talk about feeling stuck in a rut. My best advice (that I need to listen to myself!) is to prepare foods ahead of time. This really does help prevent you from mindless eating.
And your meals don't have to be difficult and labor intensive. Just look how easy THIS salad is!
Pick a day of the week that you have enough time to prep a bunch of meals and snacks. For me that day is always Sunday.
I make a bunch of overnight oats, chia puddings, grilled chicken and salads. This was when I am HANGRY during the week I will stay on track and not be tempted to eat some of my kids' foods.
I love adding plain Greek yogurt to the dressing. It adds creaminess and of course protein.
The dressing will stay fresh in an airtight container for up to 5 days. And like I said, it has a ton of uses.
Strawberry Spinach Salad from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Yummy Kale Salad with Apples from A Mind Full Mom
Kale Salad with Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette from Damn Delicious
Healthy Kale Salad with Pecorino and Walnuts from Smitten Kitchen
Chopped Mexican Kale Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- For the salad:
- 6 cups chopped curly kale
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- ½ cup diced grape tomatoes
- 1 avocado diced
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup tortilla strips for topping
- For the Dressing:
- 1 large ripe avocado peeled and pitted
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ½ cup plain Stonyfield Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Place all of the ingredients for the dressing in a food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth. Place in airtight container for at least 2 hours so the flavors blend.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients together for the salad. Add dressing. Toss well and serve immediately.