Raise your hand if you love some comfort food this time of year! Not all of our favorite comfort foods have to be loaded with fat. Here is a perfect example.
Kale seems to be the “it” green vegetable right now. Wonder why? It is packed with tons of calcium, folic acid, and vitamins A , K and C. Diets that are high in Vitamin K help protect against cancer. Kale is just as versatile as spinach, cabbage and chard in a variety of recipes. Yes, it is one of the healthiest vegetables around. It’s also loaded with healthy fiber that helps keep you full and your heart healthy ♥ I know kale doesn’t have the most appetizing reputation, but here is one recipe that will prove that wrong!!
White Bean Vegetable and Sausage Stew
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 package turkey sausage, cut into (1/2-inch) slices
- 1 zucchini, quartered and cut into (1/2-inch) slices (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 chopped red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup organic chicken broth
- 2 (16-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel
- 1/8 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chopped trimmed kale (about 1/2 pound)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and sausage 5-6 minutes or until sausage is browned. Add zucchini, mushrooms and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except kale; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated Add kale and allow to wilt. Remove from stove when kale is wilted but still bright green. Serve immediately.
Serving Size 1/8 of recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories 456 Calories from Fat 49
Total Fat 5.4g
Saturated Fat 1.1g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrates 75.3g
Dietary Fiber 30.0g
*Nutritional information provided by www.caloriecount.com, not 100% guaranteed accurate
**adapted from Cooking Light
Thanks for stopping by!