This isn’t your ordinary apple cider. This is warm, comforting, with a hint of citrus and a kick of rum!
I love the fall. I love whipping out my boots, sweaters and cozy jackets (like I did this past weekend). I was so excited for the cool, crisp air, the layers of clothes and let’s not forget the red wine! But then, wouldn’t you know it, it was 75 degrees today. Seriously? No. I’m over the heat. Bring on the fall. For real this time.
Ok, back to my cozy clothes and red wine. I mean, spiked apple cider.
The truth is, I am not much of a hard alcohol drinker. I usually have a couple of glasses of wine a week (depending on the week of course) but this old lady body can’t really do the hard stuff anymore. Who am I kidding? I never really could. But this I can drink. It’s sweet with a hint of rum taste and perfect for tailgating parties or whatever party you go to this Fall.
- ½ gallon apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ½ inch grated ginger
- ¼ cup spiced rum or brandy
- Place all of the ingredients except the rum in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain in a fine mesh colander so only the liquid is reserved.
- Stir in rum. Serve warm, Add extra cinnamon sticks as garnish if desired.
I have made this twice now (in the name of research of course) and one time I used lemon and the other time I used orange. I liked the orange flavor way better. I didn’t think this needed any added sugar, it was sweet enough on its own. I also made some mine the rum for my kiddies and they loved it! I hope you like it too!