Say goodbye to your ordinary cornbread, this one has a mexican twist and is loaded with cheese!
I know this isn’t one of my typical, healthy recipes. I created this for The Everything Wheat-Free Diet Cookbook a few years ago and people keep telling me how much they love it! I am all about spicy,I am just not a huge cheese lover. Now don’t scream at me just yet, it has nothing to do with nutrition, it’s purely taste. I like some harder cheeses like cheddar or pepper jack, I just don’t love them. You know what I mean?
But this bread is really really good. Especially fresh out of the oven when the cheese is oozing out the center. You can definitely use less cheese if you’d like ( I have before) but the consensus seems to be that this is the perfect amount of cheese. So why change perfection?
You can adjust the seasonings in this cornbread if you’d like as well. I leave out the chili and jalapeño peppers when I make this for my kids because they don’t like too spicy (or random green stuff) in their cornbread.
- 1 cup cornmeal (yellow or white)
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup green chilie or jalepeno peppers, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup grated pepper jack or Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder or baking soda, salt, cumin, and red pepper flakes.
- Mix in the buttermilk, Greek yogurt, eggs, and melted butter.
- Prepare an 8" square baking pan with nonstick spray. Place half of the batter in the pan. Sprinkle with peppers and cheese. Cover with the rest of the batter. Bake for 20–25 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes before slicing.
This is gluten free which is always a bonus for those with sensitivities. The Everything Wheat-Free Diet Cookbook also makes a fabulous holiday gift, and I can also sign it too! Simply click here and I will send you a signed copy. It’s THAT easy! 🙂 I can also sign a copy of The Greek Yogurt Cookbook as well. They make the perfect holiday gifts!
I hope you enjoy the cornbread!