Don’t be intimidated by making your own crackers. These are crunchy, packed with flavor and will be ready in under 30 minutes. I use simple ingredients that you can feel good about eating.
After my surgery I ate a lot of crackers. And when I say a lot, I really mean A LOT.
Besides the obvious fact that they taste delicious, I could tolerate them, eat them, enjoy them and not get sick.
A friend sent a lovely basket of goodies while I was in the hospital. My kids devoured the cookies and treats and left these amazing seeded crackers. You can imagine how the first taste was. It was like a crunchy combination of herbs and salt explosion in my mouth. I was so happy I think I was moaning eating them (no exaggeration). Can you blame me? Not eating or drinking anything for 9 days was pretty terrible. So these crackers tasted like heaven to me.
And just like that, I finished the box.
It was at that moment I realized I needed to somehow recreate those beloved crackers.
Ok, so maybe hat seems a little dramatic but they really were divine.
I was pleasantly surprised how simple these were to make. I made them a few times, each time they were delicious. I liked them a little thicker and apparently my husband liked the thinner ones. Just roll them out of you want them thinner. Either way, they are super crunchy. No one has to know how easy they are to make, they look fancy! It’ll be our secret.
And you can easily make these with whatever herbs you like. I loved how the rosemary came though in these crackers, but go ahead and get creative!
And to show you just how easy these crackers are to make, I made another video!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, hemp, flax, chia, salt and rosemary until throughly combined.
- Next add oil and water and mix together with your hands.
- Knead dough carefully until it becomes uniform. You might need to add an extra tablespoon or two of water if dough seems dry.
- Lightly flour a work space or baking sheet and carefully roll out the dough.
- Roll it out fairly thin, but you can leave it a little thicker if you like a thicker flatbread. Just make sure the dough is spread evenly so it cooks evenly.
- Slice flatbreads into whatever size you'd like. I made 24 rectangular-sized crackers.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes until edges are golden brown.
- Allow to cool and break into pieces.
- Store in airtight container to keep them fresh and crispy.
Some of the edges might be a little crumbly. You can also use a whole grain or all purpose flour too! These are especially delicious with Spinach Sun Dried Tomato Greek Yogurt Dip, Edamame Hummus, Avocado White Bean Hummus, Roasted Garlic White Bean Dip and my Spicy Black Bean Dip. ENJOY!