I make these every year, it’s the perfect blend of sweet and spices! Pumpkin and gingerbread make the most amazing muffins!
This recipe makes 2 9×5 loaves, 6-7 mini loaves or a whole bunch of mini or regular size muffins. I love giving these as gifts (and my family loves eating them for breakfast AND dessert). I modified these to be healthier. Yes they do have some sugar in them, but I use turbinado sugar instead of granulated white sugar. Basically, turbinado is less processed and has a more granular texture. Look how yummy these look…and they make your house smell amazing 🙂
Pumpkin Gingerbread Muffins
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 15 ounce can pure pumpkin *NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 2/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place muffin wrappers in tins or spray with organic nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and flaxseed.
- In another separate medium size bowl, add eggs, egg whites, oil, applesauce, molasses, sugars, pumpkin and water. Mix very well until completely combined.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour into muffin tins or loaf pans. Bake 17 minutes for mini muffins, 22 minutes for regular size muffins 1 hour for large loaves. Make sure you insert a toothpick in the middle of muffin to make sure they are completely cooked. Let cool and enjoy 🙂
These are not only healthy but wrap up all of your favorite holidays flavors all in one muffin! They freeze really well too (if you ever have left overs!)