I made this yummy bread for my youngest’s birthday. He loved it. Gogi berries are so pretty, they are a bright orange red color and are also super healthy-they are filled with antioxidants and amino acids (which helps build protein). The jury is still out on whether gogi berries are actually healthier than other berries. Just know they they are super healthy for you 🙂
Oatmeal Banana Bread with Gogi Berries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup organic raw honey
- 1/2 cup sucanat or sugar of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup dried gogi berries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- Mix together the applesauce, honey, sugar and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
- Beat in the eggs, then add the bananas.
- Add the flour, oats, flax, cinnamon, salt and baking soda until just mixed. Do not over mix. Add the gogi berries and stir a little.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes (depending on your oven) until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out completely clean. Remove from pan and place on wire rack to cool.
This bread is super moist (how I like it) from the applesauce and bananas. If you want it to retain its moisture, simply wrap in plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. You can also freeze this bread easily too. If you don’t have gogi berries, you can easily substitute with walnuts, cranberries, chocolate chips…you name it. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!