Hope you all had a wonderful holiday with friends and family. If your celebrations were anything like mine they involved dear friends, family, cocktails, lots and lots of delicious food, love and laughter. As much as I love the holiday season, I don’t love how I feel afterwards. I always allow myself to indulge (ok maybe over indulge 🙂 ) during this time and I get right back on track. Well, that starts today. No excuses.
My Top Ten List for Getting Back on Track
- You must make yourself a priority. So many of us are taking care of everyone around us and forgetting about #1 (that’s YOU). Remember, you take care of everyone else if you aren’t healthy yourself. Putting yourself at the top of your to-do list isn’t selfish, it’s actually self-preservation! I LOVE this, I don’t know where I heard it, but it speaks volumes.
- It doesn’t matter what your habits were yesterday or even last week, it all starts here. Today is the starting line. Don’t keep pushing it off for another day.
- Drink your water! I know, I know, we aren’t as thirsty in the winter but your requirements are still the same. Many people often mistake thirst for hunger. Water is a powerful detoxifier and it helps balance digestion. It also helps make your skin look clearer and brighter.
- Exercise! This is the busiest time of the year and what’s the first thing we blow off? EXERCISE! It makes no sense too, it only takes an hour or less and it makes our bodies and our minds feel better. Why blow that off?
- Keep a food diary. Anyone who wants to lose or maintain their weight, or simply be held accountable for what goes in their body, you MUST keep a food diary. It is crucial to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Now, before you complain, I now how busy you are and how easy it is to forget. Get an app on your phone or keep a notebook with you. I don’t care what it is, it’s important. (Sorry for being bossy 😉 )
- When cooking, load up on vegetables. Veggies can fill you up with healthy fiber. Make sure you always fill your plate up with them.
- Same goes for protein. Make sure you have protein with every meal and snack you have. It will help keep you full longer. It’s also important for us that exercise. Protein helps build muscle and maximize strength. Opt for lean proteins like fish, chicken, eggs, yogurts and nuts (just watch your portion sizes).
- SLEEP!! I know, if only our kids would get this memo, right? Sleep is crucial for maintaining and losing weight. Make an effort to get to bed a little earlier each night. Lack of sleep= overeating. No good.
- I am sure this comes as no surprise to those that have read my blog or who know me… G R E E N T E A! It is a powerful antioxidant that helps build your immune system, lowers your cholesterol and may even prevent certain diseases? That’s not reason enough? Studies also show that drinking 3-5 cups of green tea daily may speed up your metabolism. I knew that would get you.
- We are all too hard on ourselves. We are so quick to give someone else a compliment, but how about give one to yourself? Or better yet, say “thank you” when someone gives you one? It feels great to hear nice things. Give compliments to others (and yourself) as much as you can and own the ones other’s give. JUST. SAY. THANK. YOU.
Hope this helps. It doesn’t have to be a new year to start a new you 🙂