Light and simple to prepare, you will want to keep this salad in your refrigerator at all times. It’s packed with plant-based protein and fiber and is naturally gluten-free.
And just like that, the Blizzard of 2016 hits. I should say, the FIRST blizzard of 2016. It’s a perfect day. The kids are playing in the snow, hubby is shoveling and I am cooking and baking ALL THE THINGS.
As I finish preparing the bean salad that I make almost weekly, I realize that I never shared the recipe with you guys! GAH! I am not sure how I forgot that since this is the most delicious and easiest salad ever, but I apologize. Better late than never, right?
This salad tastes better the 2nd and even 3rd day because the beans soak up all of the deliciousness from the dressing. It’s great all year long too and it’s always a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped ( I use multi-color tomatoes)
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- zest of one lime
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup fresh packed chopped cilantro leaves, optional
- Mix all of the ingredients for the salad in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Mix all ingredients together for dressing in a small bowl or jar. Mix well or shake well (if using a jar). Pour dressing over salad. Let refrigerate for several hours or even overnight.
I make this on most Sundays (my prep day) to have for lunch during the week. This helps prevent me from eating everything in sight when I come back from a workout. Come on friends, we’ve all been there. I hope you love this too!