Sorry that this email went out last night before I even finished it….jeez, I need to try to do one thing at a time 🙂 Anyway, here it is!!
Today is the day to show our loved ones just how much we care about them. That doesn’t mean we have to sacrifice your healthy eating in order to indulge and celebrate today! In this recipe I use turbinado sugar which is simply raw sugar that has been steam cleaned. Turbinado sugar is a healthier alternative to white, refined sugar. It is lower in calories since it tends to hold more moisture. One teaspoon of white sugar packs 16 calories, as opposed to the Turbinado sugar, which has 11 for one teaspoon. Turbinado sugar isn’t processed as much as white sugar, so it is naturally healthier for your body. I also used much less sugar because it’s a naturally sweet cookie 🙂
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Cranberry White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
adapted from Eating Well
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup oats, quick-cooking or old-fashioned (not instant)
- 1/4 cup white chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 dried cranberries (no sugar added)
- 2 TBS chopped macadamia nuts
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 375°F.
- Whisk flour, wheat germ, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cardamom and ground ginger in a small bowl. Whisk egg, sugar, oil, applesauce and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients; stir to combine. Add oats, chocolate, cranberries; stir just to combine. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto 2 ungreased baking sheets, 1 1/2 inches apart. (FYI- dough will be thick).
- Bake the cookies until puffed and barely golden around the edges, switching the pans back to front and top to bottom halfway through, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on the pans for 2 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Serving Size 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving
Calories 79 Calories from Fat 35
Total Fat 3.9g
Saturated Fat 0.7g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrates 9.7g
Dietary Fiber 0.8g
*Nutritional information is calculated through www.caloriecount.com, results not 100% accurate