This dish is simple to prepare and delicious enough to serve for guests. Fresh tomatoes and basil are necessary to use in this recipe. I used quinoa penne (gluten-free) but if you’d like to use a whole grain pasta, go for it.
- 1 pound quinoa penne pasta or whole grain pasta of choice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails off
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh basil, torn
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, chopped
- Cook pasta according to instructions. Set aside.
- Place oil in large saucepan with onion and garlic. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add shrimp and cook about 4 minutes until shrimp are cooked and turn pink, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low, add tomatoes, salt, crushed red pepper, balsamic vinegar, basil and stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes until tomatoes soften.
- Add pasta to saucepan and mix again.
- Turn heat off and add mozzarella. Mix well. You don't want the cheese to melt, just to blend in with the flavors. Serve immediately.
This dish is perfect for the holidays. Feel free to top it with freshly shredded Parmesan cheese and maybe some more fresh basil. But isn’t everything better with more cheese and fresh basil? Yes, of course it is.
I hope you like it! Thanks for stopping by~