Fresh from the oven, flourless and wholesome, this Gluten Free Apple Crumb Pie will be a huge crowd pleaser at your holiday table.
It’s my birthday today!
Eh, it’s just another day, right? My kids are so crazy excited for my birthday, I think they expect presents too! My ten year old asked me what I am making for the “special birthday breakfast” (I always make them somethings special on their birthdays) and I think it’s hilarious that they expected me to make myself something special on MY birthday. I guess I did make myself this pie for my birthday so that’s a little weird.
Ah….gotta love kids…
This pie is my everything. Fresh baked apples, autumn spices and walnuts….always walnuts. They give such a wonderful, nutty texture to the crust, I promise you won’t miss the traditional pie crust!
And I don’t know about you, but put crumb topping on just about anything and I am overjoyed. I can’t get enough of crumb topping.
I mean, it is MY birthday.
Today I plan on enjoying time with my family. Since I don’t care much about my own birthday, it’s a great excuse for us all to be together. No sports. No video games. Just simple family time. And maybe this apple pie.
And a scoop of ice cream (duh!)
- For the crust:
- ¾ cup walnuts
- 1 cup almond flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon gluten-free baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil (or cold butter)
- 3 tablespoons 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 egg or flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal and 2.5 tablespoons water)
- For the filling:
- ⅓ cup 100% maple syrup
- ¼ almond flour
- 1/s teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 medium granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced into ½ inch slices
- For the crumb topping:
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup coconut sugar(or other unrefined sugar)
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Prepare the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the walnuts in a food processor and process until you have a coarse flour.
- Add the almond flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon,coconut oil, maple syrup, flax egg (or egg), and vanilla and pulse until a ball of dough forms.
- Using the palms of your hands, press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of a pie pan. Spread into a thin layer thoughout the sides and bottom.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Prepare filling:
- In a medium bowl, mix together maple syrup, almond flour, cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Add sliced apples and mix until well combined.
- Pour filling into prepared pie dish.
- Prepare topping:
- Mix together all the ingredients until large crumbs form.
- Pour on to of apple mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes until apples are soft.
Thank you to you all for the birthday wishes! I am so thankful for all of you!