I took an informal poll on Facebook and it seems that fennel is just one of those things that you either love or hate. I never liked fennel. I do not like black licorice (fennel tastes and smells like black licorice) and haven’t really found it appetizing. Until now.
Fresh Zucchini, Fennel and Feta
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 3 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then in half again (like half moons)
- 1 fennel bulb, cut very thin
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese (or more if you'd like more)
- In a large saucepan, heat onion, garlic and oil for 1-2 minutes until they soften.
- Add zucchini, fennel and basil and cook for 5-7 minutes until cooked, but still tender.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes, cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into medium bowl.
- Add feta cheese and mix well. Serve immediately.
This recipe actually won me over to love fennel! I’ve always wanted to like it because of all its antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fiber. But, nope, couldn’t get past that black licorice smell. Now if it tasted like RED licorice, that would be a whole different story. But I digress… This dish was amazing. I couldn’t stop eating it which really surprised me. I hope you like it too!