These are healthy and simple to prepare. This waffle recipe is made with coconut flour and flax meal and are gluten-free.
I wanted to make these waffles for a while now, but I couldn’t find my waffle maker! I guess that shows you how long it’s been since I’ve made waffles. I usually just make pancakes, but my kids really like waffles so I literally searched all over my (small) house. It was nowhere. And that really bummed me out. I got it as an engagement gift almost 15 years ago. It was a beauty. The big belgian waffle maker from William Sonoma. Sigh. It was gone. Luckily, I have a bunch of friends who were kind enough to search for THEIR waffle makers they got for their engagements/weddings and borrowed one of theirs. I’m so happy I did, because waffles are awesome.
- 2 Whole eggs and 2 egg whites
- 3 Tablespoons melted coconut oil (or you can use melted butter)
- 3 Tablespoons coconut milk (or reduced fat or whole milk)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 Tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup ground flax
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup blueberries
- Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature. I prefer crispier waffles.
- Using a wire whisk, mix together eggs, coconut oil (or melted butter), milk, maple syrup and sea salt.
- Continuing to whisk, add the baking powder and coconut flour until thoroughly mixed. Add the cinnamon, flax and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Add blueberries and stir gently.
- Spray waffle iron with generous amount of organic cooking spray.
- Spoon 4-5 tablespoons of batter onto waffle iron and close until shut.
- Cook according to the waffle iron's instructions.
- Remove from waffle iron and place on wire rack until ready to eat.
- Top with additional fresh blueberries, powdered sugar or 100% maple syrup if desired.
I usually keep homemade pancakes (and now waffles) in the freezer since they are so much healthier than many of the store bought kinds. When you make these, make a double or triple batch and freeze them to make morning breakfast a whole lot easier.