These cookies are healthier than your typical ones and are pretty enough to give as gifts!
I am on my never ending quest to try to maintain balance during the holidays. It’s not easy. I know you all can relate. If you are like me you tend to eat more than normal (whether out of stress or lack of time to prepare meals and snacks). I love to make these classic holiday cookies healthier than the ordinary kind. These are made with whole wheat flour, unrefined sugar, oats and flax seed. And because we need a little fun (I mean, it IS the holidays!) I added just 1/4 cup mini holiday M & M’s! No one will miss all that processed sugar and added junk. Promise.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup oats
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup unrefined sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup mini holiday M & M's
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place oats in food processor or blender and blend until powdery.
- Pour into a medium size bowl and add flour, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, salt and beat with electric mixer until combined. Add applesauce, sugar , coconut oil and vanilla extract while continuing to beat with the electric mixer.
- Add chocolate chips and M & M's and stir to combine.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto undressed cookie sheet, about 1 inch apart.
- bake for about 12-5 minutes until golden brown. Cook on cookie sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack until completely cooled.
See how easy these are? I love all of the pretty decorated cut out cookies and fancy cakes and bars, but sometimes you just need simple, (healthy), classic cookies. At least I do!