This is healthy, comfort food at its finest. Sometimes you just need a fun twist on a typical macaroni and cheese recipe. And doesn’t bacon make everything taste better? You can add chopped sausage if you’d like or even white beans or more vegetables. It’s hearty, delicious and easy.
Cheesy Cauliflower Bacon and Pasta Bake
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
- 3/4 cup nitrate free bacon, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup Havarti cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 pound whole grain pasta, cooked
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease baking dish and set aside.
- Spread cauliflower florets onto baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and grapeseed oil. Place into preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until edges are light brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until cooked through. Set onto paper towels to drain.
- In the same skillet, put garlic and onion and cook on low for 1-2 minutes until softened. Add cheese and milk, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes until cheese is melted. Crumble bacon.
- Add cauliflower and 1/2 cup bacon and mix well.
- Add cooked pasta and thoroughly combine. Pour into prepared baking dish. Top with Parmesan cheese and remaining 1/4 cup bacon.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until edges are browned.
Remember just any bacon will not do. Make sure you get uncured, nitrate free, reduced sodium, center cut bacon.
Thanks for stopping by! Hope you like it 🙂