Simple to make, healthy and delicious, this Caprese Quinoa Salad is a huge crowd pleaser!
When I think of summer foods, I picture light salads, grilled vegetables and of course, fun cocktails! (We all believe in moderation, right?) This salad is so fresh and light and packed with protein, even without any meat. Quinoa provides all the essential amino acids (building blocks of protein) and the vegetables, fresh basil and mozzarella pack on the flavor!
During the summer I usually only share 1-2 recipes a week because my (very busy) children are home with me. School has even officially ended yet and I am already feeling crazed. Why are there so many presentations and parties in the last few weeks of school?
One of the many good things about having my kids home with me is that they love to help me while I take my pictures. Which is very helpful (at times) because this is me, holding the dressing bottle in one hand, while trying to hold the camera in the other hand and snap this picture. Not so great. I need my little helpers.
So back to summer…although it hasn’t really started yet, we are certainly busy with sports and such after school. I made this on one of those busy nights and I let it sit in the refrigerator to “marinate” a bit. It was delicious!
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- ½ cup red grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup yellow grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup fresh mozzarella, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil. torn and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook quinoa in vegetable broth according to instructions.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Prepare dressing by adding oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in sealable glass jar. Shake well.
- Add tomatoes, basil and mozzarella cheese to cooled quinoa.
- Toss with dressing and allow to sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours so all of the flavors marinade.
Here’s to healthy light salads all summer long!