Packed with wonderful flavors and tons of vitamins and minerals, this warm, comforting casserole is an simple to make, weeknight meal.
So, how many of you that made resolutions are still following through with them?
I know it’s only January 11, but many people have already stopped by now!
I personally don’t believe in making resolutions because many people feel overwhelmed and give up, which in turn makes them feeling bad once again. I like making both short and long term goals each year instead. I make them realistic and attainable. For example, instead of saying “I want to lose 30 lbs” I say “I want to eat more vegetables each day”. My goals are more specific and realistic.
Many of you would like to eat healthier in the new year and that’s where I come in. I love sharing easy, healthy, delicious recipes with you and I feel so lucky that you are all here.
This casserole is one of those easy one dish meals that you can keep reheating and eat it for a few days! That is HUGE for a busy mom like me…
This velvety smooth casserole is made without those processed creamy soups that are loaded with preservatives and sodium. Trust me guys, you will not miss it one bit. This is way healthier and made with all whole ingredients. So for all of you that made goals or resolutions to eat more whole foods, this one is for you!
So that’s it, this isn’t fancy and it doesn’t use any crazy ingredients. If you don’t have almond flour and you don’t need it to be gluten-free, you can simply use any flour you’d like.
- 1 large head broccoli
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 cups small white beans (optional, omit or reduce the amount for low carb)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar (optional, omit for vegan and dairy free)
- ¼ cup gluten-free bread crumbs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350degrees.
- Cut the heads off of the broccoli and cauliflower leaving the stems behind.
- Break apart the florets into your hands.
- Transfer the broccoli and cauliflower to a food processor.
- Using the grater attachment on the food processor, pulse until they are the size of rice.
- Transfer to a paper towel to remove and moisture .
- Set aside.
- Over medium heat, add oil, onion garlic and mushrooms to a sauce pan.
- Cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add flax and almond flour and mix again.
- Add milk, stir again and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and stir allowing to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add beans, broccoli and cauliflower. Mix again.
- Add cheese (if using) and pour mixture into a casserole dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes in preheated oven until edges are brown and casserole is bubbly.
- Top with bread crumbs if using and cook for another 5 minutes.
I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!