I think you all know how much I adore pesto of all kinds. This is a great way to use up some leftover pesto. Who doesn’t love a panini that’s kind of like a BLT, minus the bacon and adding some avocado and pesto 🙂
For the Pesto:
4 ounces extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves
1½ ounces pine nuts
2 ounces parmesan cheese
2 ounces fresh basil leaves , torn
- Add ingredients to Vita-Mix (or other high speed blender or food processor) in the order displayed.
- If using Vitamix: Turn machine to Variable Speed 1, then increase quickly to Variable Speed 7, blend for 1 minute. If using food processor: blend until smooth.
For the Panini:
Fresh whole wheat ciabatta bread, sliced evenly in 1 1/2 inch slices
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
1 roma or plum tomato, sliced in rounds
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced in rounds
butter for bread
nonstick cooking spray for pan
- Spray nonstick cooking spray in a large skillet or grill pan. Butter both sides of breads. Add one slice of butter ciabatta bread to pan and place onto heated skillet. Cook on that side for 1 minute.
- Place sliced avocado, tomato and mozzarella on to bread in heated skillet. Place another butter piece of ciabatta bread on top.
- Turn until both sides are evenly browned and cheese is melted. Remove from heat. Take bread off the side where the avocado is on top (if you do the side the cheese is on top it will be melted and messy) Spread prepared pesto on top and replace bread. ENJOY!!